Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pharmaceutics Lab - Tablets and Solutions

Over the past 2 weeks we have been learning how to make dosage forms such as capsules, tablets, and solutions. Here are some pictures of our process

Tablets
My three ingredients weighed out, and ready to mix! (Aspirin, Lactose, and Sucrose)
A close up of my API (active pharmaceutical ingredient) Aspirin!
My ingredients after mixing

The next few steps (moistening, transfecting to the mold, packing the mold) were all very time sensitive, so I did not have time to take pictures of those steps.


 My tablets after being pushed through the mold

Close-ups of my tablets on the mold

My tablets after being removed from the mold. Unlike many of my classmates, mine were all uniform, and therefore none of them broke, cracked, or crumbled upon removing! The pieces you see on the table are pieces that were dried to the mold, not from the actual tablets.
My tablets with the weight of each tablet (in grams) written out to the side to show accuracy. I was told by the professor that I did really well! So exciting! (Sorry, I have to brag, I am just so PROUD of my creation!)

Some classmates making their tablets

Solutions

for this lab we had to make for solutions, a isotonic solution (not pictured) "Drug A" solution (a stock solution) "Drug B" solution (a geometric dilution) and a Simple Syrup

My cylinders, beaker, prescription bottle, and pens, that I need to make my solutions!

Drug A measured out
Drug A before it is dissolved

Drug A after being dissolved and stirred
Drug B after it's first dilution and before it's second
My simple syrup being heated to dissolve all the sucrose.  The room smelled so good at this point!

Me stirring my simple syrup as it cooled. This was a terrible idea. It made the sucrose precipitate out of solution rendering it unusable. So I had to start over
The finished products! My four solutions and my tablets! I am so proud of my babies haha!

I really enjoy my labs. I find the pharmaceutics lab incredibly interesting (in previous semesters i enjoyed pharmacy practice I and Anatomy as well). I really enjoy the hands on look what I just did type of thing.  This lab is a lot of fun for me and I thoroughly enjoy being able to make drugs!

Stay Healthy Lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment